Swanscombe Cement Works and its Railways
At one time Kent had many cement works of which Swanscombe on the north coast was amongst the largest and longest lived. Work started on the site around 1826, and the site closed in 2003. The first railway appeared soon after work started, the first locomotive appearing in 1854, with rail use ceasing completely in 1985.
Contained in the 412 pages of this book are a very detailed history of the development of the site, and the machinery and techniques used there, as well as the railway systems, narrow and standard gauge on the site, and the extraordinary variety of engine used on them, including Aveling & Porter geared locomotives.
Considerable numbers of maps, sections, drawings and photos, both B&W and colour, in a heavyweight and very well produced A5 format hardback.