The Coniston Railway


Back again after some years, told here is the history of the branch line from Foxfield on the Barrow - Carnforth main line, running nine miles north to the village of Coniston, at the north end of Coniston water.

The impetus to build the line was the copper mined on the slopes of Coniston Old Man, although this was to be overtaken by tourism. Opened in 1859, the line closed in 1962, after a generally peaceful life, and little now remains, However the line, and especially Coniston station, would make a wonderful basis for a model railway which makes this a book of particular interest.

Also includes a deal of signalling detail, and on the railway steamers on Coniston Water. 64 A4 format pages. 63 B&W pages, maps, and scale drawings. Paperback.