Trên Bach Y Llan, The Little Train to Llan Ffestiniog
The Ffestiniog Railway reached Blaenau Ffestiniog in 1836, but the subject of this book, the Festiniog & Blaenau Railway, opened in 1868. Whilst the same gauge as the Ffestiniog Railway, this later line was only around three and a half miles, and it had but two steam locomotives. However it was independent of the Ffestiniog.
The main objective of the F & BR was the transport of quarrymen from the village of Llan Ffestiniog and area to their workplaces in the various slate quarries, and to return them at the end of the day. It also provided transport for other travellers and transported the slate from the quarries on the eastern side of the parish.
The railway was absorbed by the GWR in 1883, rapidly standard gauged and extended as the line to Bala.
Whilst centred on the railway, this book is also a history of the Area and its Community, vividly showing the effects of the ever increasing slate quarrying during the 19th century.
208 pages full of mainly B&W illustrations, original maps, many in full colour, drawings of rolling stock and so on. A treasure trove of delights! Hardbound.